We are currently recruiting for Paramedics to work at the following MMP Sites
- Dudley Park Medical Centre
- Saltley and Fernbank Health Centre
1. Job Role/Purpose:
- The role will provide a specialist Paramedic resource for health care professionals and service users, working in collaboration with other members of the Multidisciplinary Team.
- To work within the community, as an autonomous, accountable, Advanced Paramedic Practitioner, in the provision of a holistic approach for individuals including assessment, diagnosis and treatment, to deliver quality patient services.
- To assess, diagnose, treat, refer or signpost patients/service users (who are triaged through to you from the Clinical Hub) with undifferentiated or undiagnosed condition relating to minor illness or minor injury.
- The post holder will use advanced clinical skills to provide education to service users, promoting self-care and empower them to make informed choices about their treatment.
2. Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Diagnosing and treating patients presenting with minor illness
- To receive telephone enquiries from patients, undertake an assessment of the presenting concerns, and give advice as appropriate using agreed protocols and making timely decisions regarding future management. This will include providing self-care advice, referral to another service or a face to face appointment in form of a home visit.
- To work with and refer appropriately to other agencies to enable identified patients to be intensively managed in a pro-active way with the aim of preventing hospital admission, supporting early discharge and reducing GP contact.
- To proactively case find patients who are very high intensity users of community and primary healthcare and/or are at high risk of unplanned admission to hospital
- Ensure clinical practice is safe and effective and remains within boundaries of competence, and to acknowledge limitations.
- Advise patients on general health care and minor ailments, with referral to other members of the primary and secondary health care team as necessary.
- Works from the Clinical Hub and within communities as an autonomous practitioner caring for patients and families.
- Works as an autonomous practitioner, in accordance with the Health Professions Council. Ensure that personal and professional clinical standards are maintained.
- To undertake assessment for patients within the community and those attending the surgery, using diagnostic skills and initiation of investigations where appropriate.
- To formally and informally impart knowledge and skills to colleagues promoting peer review and best practice within the work environment.
- To communicate at all levels within the team ensuring an effective service is delivered.
- To maintain accurate, contemporaneous healthcare records appropriate to the consultation.
- Ensure evidenced-based care is delivered at the highest standards ensuring delivery of high quality patient care.
- Works with local policies and procedures.
- Enhance own performance through Continuous Professional Development, imparting own knowledge and behaviours to meet the needs of the service.
- To achieve and demonstrate agreed standards of personal and professional development in order to meet the needs of the service.
- To participate in the audit process, evaluation and implementing plans and practice change in order to meet patient need.
- Contribute positively to the effectiveness and efficiency of the team and work colleagues.
- Some GP Experience
2. Pathological specimens and investigatory procedures
- Undertake the collection of pathological specimens including intravenous blood samples, swabs etc. Perform investigatory procedures requested by the GPs.
3. Key Working Relationships
- Internal- MMP Management Board, MMP Partners, MMP Central Management Team, MMP Contact Hub Staff and MMP Team Leaders
- External- Third Party suppliers and providers, Birmingham and Solihull CCGs, NHS England, Birmingham Community Healthcare Trust and Secondary Care Providers
4. Administration and professional responsibilities
· Participate in the administrative and professional responsibilities of the Hub team.
· Ensure accurate and legible notes of all consultations and treatments are recorded in the patient’s notes.
· Ensure the clinical computer system is kept up to date, with accurate details recorded and amended.
· Ensure accurate completion of all necessary documentation associated with patient health care and registration with the Hub.
· Ensure collection and maintenance of statistical information required for regular and ad hoc reports and audit.
· Attend and participate in Hub meetings as required.
5. Training and personal development
· Training requirements will be monitored by yearly appraisal and will be in accordance with MMP requirements. Personal development will be encouraged and supported by MMP. It is the individuals’ responsibility to remain up to date with recent developments.
· Participate in the education and training of students of all disciplines and the introduction of all members of the Hub staff where appropriate.
· Maintain continued education by attendance at courses and study days as deemed useful or necessary for professional development, ensuring requirements are met.
· If it is necessary to expand the role to include additional responsibilities, full training will be given.
· Partake and maintain Clinical Supervision plans.
· It will be necessary to attend and contribute to various practice meetings as requested. The only reason for not attending will be annual, study or sick leave.
· In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
· In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
· Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
8. Personal/Professional development
· The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
· Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
· Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Hub, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
- To undertake such other duties as the organisation may reasonably require
- To work across MMP sites as required
- In light of national policy and due to the operational needs of the business it may be necessary for the Partnership to alter the opening hours and weekend working which may effect when you are required to work.
- The post holder is expected to be flexible and accommodating, following consultation, in terms of any changes to operating times in the future