Self-Help: Concerned Of Safety Adults and Children

Are you worried about a child?

If you have concerns about the welfare or safety of a child, please contact the surgery or 111 urgently. In an emergency, or if someone is in immediate danger, call 999.The neglect or abuse of a child is a criminal offence. You can report concerns about a child directly to West Midlands Police on 0845 113 5000. You can report or discuss a concern about a child by contacting Birmingham children’s information and advice service on 0121 303 1888.  Outside office hours, call the emergency duty team 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 0121 675 4806. Please see for more information.

Birmingham Safeguarding Adults Board

We are committed to listening to the voice of the citizens of Birmingham. To prove this we will ensure that, wherever possible, safeguarding responsibilities across the city are delivered in a way that empowers the community and individual citizens.

Our priorities include working with our partner organisations to develop effective preventative and early intervention strategies that minimize the risk of abuse and neglect occurring. We wish to work together to establish safer communities for people with care and support needs and citizens who are vulnerable.

Telephone: N/A

Web Link:


Patients suffering domestic abuse. 

If you are feeling isolated or in need of support, there is help available both online and by phone. The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is a free and confidential helpline, available 24 hours a day on 0808 2000 247. If possible, try to memorise this number for when you need it. Further advice is available from Refuge ( and Women’s Aid (

If you are concerned that you may be in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. Keep your phone charged and with you at all times if safe to do so.

If you are in danger but are not able to talk safely on the phone, you are still able to safely contact the police. Call 999, then press 55. This transfers your call to the police and alerts them that there is an emergency without you having to say anything.

Other sources of support:

· LGBT Domestic Violence advocate. Telephone 0121 643 0821

· National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans+ Domestic Abuse Helpline, GALOP helpline. Telephone 08009995428

Are you worried about abuse or neglect of an adult with care and support needs?

If you have a concern regarding possible abuse or neglect of an adult with care and support needs, please contact the surgery or 111 urgently.  In an emergency, or if someone is in immediate danger, call 999. Otherwise, report crimes to West Midlands Police by calling 101. Members of the public are able to report possible abuse or neglect of an adult with care and support needs to Birmingham City Council by telephone on 0121 303 123, email or text relay –  dial 18001 followed by the full national phone number.  for more information see 

Help for Victims of Modern Slavery

If you suspect that you or someone you have come across may be an adult victim of modern slavery and in need of help, please contact The Salvation Army’s confidential and anonymous referral helpline on 0800 808 3733 – available 365 days a year, 24/7 with interpretation services where needed.

Honour based violence and forced marriage

Further support for people experiencing or at risk of honour based violence and forced marriage is available by contacting 0800 953 9777

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) refers to all procedures involving partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or any other cutting, injury or changes to female genital organs for nonmedical reasons. It is also sometimes called female circumcision or cutting.


It is illegal to perform FGM in the UK. It is also illegal to arrange or assist in arranging for anyone in the UK to be taken abroad for the purpose of FGM.


Help is available if you have had FGM or you are worried that you or someone you know is at risk.

  • If someone is in immediate danger, contact the police immediately by dialling 999.
  • If you are in the UK and concerned that someone may be at risk you can also ring a support service especially for girls at risk of FGM, like the NSPCC Helpline on 0800 028 3550 or, FORWARD on 0208 960 4000 or the Police on 101
  • If you’re under pressure to have FGM performed on your daughter, ask a GP, your health visitor or another healthcare professional for help, or contact the NSPCC helpline.
  • ChildLine For support and advice: 0800 1111 (Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
  • If you have had FGM, you can get help from a specialist NHS gynaecologist or FGM service – ask a GP, your midwife or any other healthcare professional about services in your area. For information on clinics in your area, see: National FGM Support Clinics – NHS – NHS (

For more information, see:

Birmingham Safeguarding Children Partnership

Birmingham and Solihull CCG